All of us here at the LAMP know that it is easy to get confused by all the information out there about media–what it can and can’t do, how to use it and how to figure out what’s right for you. With that in mind, we created our free LAMPlit resource guides to help you find your way and make smart choices. New guides are always in the works, so check back often to see what’s new, and please feel free to email us with your comments and suggestions.
- A Guide to Gender, Youth and MediaKids start learning about gender and sexuality from a very young age, in large part due to subtle cues sent by mass media. Raising children to be tolerant of differences and helping them discover their own true selves can be challenging in a world of rigid stereotypes about what it means to be male or female, but with “A Guide to Gender, Youth and Media”, we’ll give you the basic tools to get the conversation started. This free download includes a glossary of terms, activities for youth and adults to learn about and challenge gender stereotypes, plus online and offline resources for those wanting to learn more.
- Why Do I Need to Understand Fair Use? Remix and video editing are powerful ways for making your voice heard! You can re-edit videos to criticize mass media, question the truth of a news story, present a counter-narrative or talk about cultural trends and norms. (After all, that’s why we created the Media Breaker!) But before you get started, you need to understand the basics of Fair Use, a clause in copyright law which allows you to use copyrighted material without the permission of the material’s owner. In this LAMPlit, we break it down so you can exercise your right to legally and ethically create remixes and videos. Get to know Fair Use, then break the media and change the message!
- Guide to Healthy Digital Relationships Socializing online is a huge part of how we use the Internet today, and that’s a good thing–as long as you make responsible choices, and have your friends online do the same. This practical guide for teens includes interactive activities designed to help build healthy digital relationships, plus a few pointers for the adults in their lives. (In Spanish) (In Polish)
- The LAMPlatoon Wants YOU! This LAMPlit resource guide takes you through the process of breaking a commercial and joining The LAMPlatoon. Learn how to choose an ad for your video, understand the basics of advertising literacy, get tips for video editing and much more.
- Check out the news! (PDF) The LAMP’s second LAMPlit resource guide introduces you to news literacy – understanding how and why news is made, and how you can take control of the news media in your life to generate your own opinions and make choices that are right for you. (In Spanish) (In Chinese)
- Beginner’s Guide to Going Online (PDF) This is the most basic information you need to know about how to have a positive experience online. You’ll learn about online privacy, ethics, filters and more to help you and your family make the best decisions when exploring the Internet.
Do you have resources to suggest? Send us an email!